Monday, April 4, 2011

"I just want to scream, hello..."

One of the things that truly amazes me out on the trail is how outgoing other trekkers are.  Hiking etiquette states to say "hello" to passing hikers. Many hikers (including myself) are more then willing to slow down or even stop to have a conversation.

Personally, I have had conversations about what type of shoes I was wearing, tips for the remainder of my trek, and even what moves the Mets would make in the off season. All with complete strangers.
Why does this amaze me?  Well when you look at everyday life, this never happens in a normal setting. I commute an hour each way to work on the train and will not utter a word to the person seated next to me the entire time. Yet in such a personal setting, one we use to "get away from it all," here we are ready to carry on a conversation.

Is there some kind of cosmic bond created by the outdoors?  Is it a safety thing?  I don't know.  I do know that it is better then our normal day to day social practices. Next time on the trail, say hello, strike up a conversation if you dare.  Hell, if your feeling adventurous give it a shot on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment