Saturday, April 23, 2011

Gear: Do you have the time?

One of the most important pieces of gear you can have when trekking is a good wrist watch.  Not only can you keep time with it, but you can also establish your heading if you find yourself lost without a compass (http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Direction-Using-a-Watch). Today, watches come with a ton of features.  Watches can act as a stop watch, an altimeter, a barometer, a pedometer, etc.  Some watches will even provide you with a weather report.

Personally, I want a solid watch that does what it needs to do best...telling me what time it is.  I find the more gadgets you pack into a simple product the harder it is to use and the sooner they break down.  Pack as many features into your cell phone as you can, they are mini computers, but a watch is a watch and should remain only a watch.

My watch has to be able to stand up to the elements and, of course, tell me accurate time.  That's why I chose the Bertucci A2-T.




Its a light weight watch made of titanium, 100m water resistant, with a scratch resistant crystal.  It also comes with a screw down crown which was very important to me.  I know once the watch is set it won't magically change on me.  It is styled after your classic field watch with a nylon band.  The housing of the watch is the perfect size for your wrist...not to big and not too small.  The combination of the nylon band and the light weight titanium truly make this a comfortable watch for trekking.  You forget you have it on half the time, even when you are in a full sweat from a hard trek.  The numbers are large and easy to read, while the hands illuminate in the dark (which is always important).  I wear it everyday, even to work, as it it stylized for any time and any place.

While this watch lacks the bells and whistles you can get with a Casio Pathfinder or Suunto fitness watch, it makes up for it in simplicity.  I am a firm believer that when you need a compass you should bring a compass.  When you need a thermometer bring one.  When you need a timer there is no reason not to use the second hands on your watch.  Gadgets are great and in this day and age you have so many to choose from.  One thing I wont mess with is my watch.  So if you are a simple watch lover like I am you can't go wrong with the purchase of a Bertucci watch.  Great, solid product for trekking along with everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment